As the Training Development Manager at JP Cullen, I am responsible for creating learning plans and providing training opportunities about the company’s processes and systems to all of our employees. JP Cullen has always been employee-focused evident by:
- spending over $150,000 annually to send our staff to external training opportunities,
- identifying our internal experts to teach classes through Cullen College,
- and encouraging employees to find a mentor.
Cullen College is a JP Cullen exclusive opportunity that provides training classes to our employees who are motivated to further their careers.
JP Cullen’s Mission
Being a woman myself and seeing the gender gap firsthand within the construction industry, I set out to provide leadership training to many of our female employees. With only an estimated 9.9% of the construction industry being made up of women (ConstructionDive), the importance of building up women into leadership roles is crucial and a mission that JP Cullen has set out on.
In order to further educate and empower our employees, we hired coach and consultant, Darcy Luoma, along with her partner, Jill, for leadership training that is applicable both inside and outside of the office.
Goals of the Training
The group involved in this training includes 16 women of all different ages, roles, life stages, and various backgrounds. This diversified team shares experiences, coaches each other through conflicts, and has built an environment of teamwork and camaraderie.
With a focus on leadership development, interpersonal networking, communication, conflict resolution, and setting and reaching goals, the training given to this group is an educational experience that can be used now and long into their future.
Through this training, our group is learning to:
- Increase our productivity and contribution through more efficient teamwork and self-awareness.
- Become higher contributors through taking ownership of our responsibilities and learning how to become quick decision-makers.
- Develop stronger communication skills and knowing how to work with people who have different styles as well as learning how to handle conflict, overcome obstacles, develop resilience, and find win-win situations.
I am confident that this training sets us up for future success and gives each of the individuals tools to move faster in their career development. I know I can speak on behalf of the group that we are thankful to JP Cullen and our Executive Team for this opportunity, and to Darcy and Jill for coaching us and sharing their knowledge.
Interested in becoming a leader at JP Cullen? Click here to find out more!