Culture of Safety
Safety is a corporate strategic initiative in our culture. Nothing we do is more important than keeping clients and their staff safe while we build during the day and getting our employees and team members home safely each night.
Cullen’s safety program and record has received the Associated General Contractors (AGC) of America annual safety award for 10 years straight! In addition, Cullen’s executive management team has taken safety to the next level.
Already a culture of safety oriented individuals, Cullen’s management has made safety a corporate strategic initiative. By implementing a top down approach, they have gone beyond the corporate safety plan to hold all employees, including themselves, accountable to be committed, responsible, and provide safety checks and balances daily.
Our Comprehensive Safety Program includes:
- Customized project safety plan for each unique project;
- Monitoring a safe work environment by our Corporate Safety Director, Cullen Executives, Superintendent, and Cullen Crews;
- Training of all Cullen team members in safety best practices and equipment;
- Communication through our Field Superintendents to all team memebers on a daily basis;
- Recognition and reinforcement with incentive awards for all team members;
- Scheduled and surprise inspections by safety personnel;
- Exclusive End-of-Shift Meetings covering safety performance each day;
- Testing for drug and alcohol abuse is required
Construction Safety and Excellence Awards
- 2012 AGC President's Safety Excellence Award
- 2010 AGC Leadership in Safety Award
- AGC Outstanding Achievement Award for Excellence in Safety.
- The AGC of Greater Milwaukee and The Milwaukee Construction Industry Safety Coucil's Substance Abuse Management Policy Award.
- Central Illinois Builders of AGC Safety Award for Outstanding Safety Performance in the over 200,000 man-hour category in 2000.
- AGC of Greater Milwaukee awarded 1st place to J.P. Cullen & Sons, Inc. in Recognition of Achievement in Accident Prevention for over 100,000 hours
- AGC of Greater Milwaukee awarded 1st place to J.P. Cullen & Sons, Inc. in Recognition of Achievement in Accident Prevention for over 300,000 hours
- Wisconsin Corporate Safety Award Finalist
Director of Corporate Safety
Brian manages and implements the Cullen Safety Program and has completed a Masters of Science in Occupational Safety. He has 23 years of experience and 15 years at Cullen.
Brian was the Construction Safety Specialist for the Associated General Contractors of Milwaukee in the early 1990's and served and directed up to 10 Corporate Safety Programs simultaneously.
Before coming to J.P. Cullen, Brian worked in Waukegan, IL and facilitated a decrease in an EMR (from .90 to .64) during his time in IL.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP # 19010) and Associated Safety Professional
- American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE), professional member
- OSHA Recognized Competent Person: Trenching & Excavating, Fall Protection, Ladders & Scaffolds
- NUCA Certified Competent Person: Confined Space Entry, Trenching & Excavating
- LCCA Recognized Competent Person: Excavation Trainer
- SIA Recognized Competent Person: Scaffolding
- Capable of Training Employees in All 28 OSHA Mandated Construction Safety Topics